Sunday, September 20, 2015

1930's Film PROJECT



During the years 1924-1930 , Sir Malcolm Campbell broke nine land-speed records. Also the Chevrolet 1935 master Deluxe was introduced and Germany had introduced the Volkswagon. While the use of Cars increased, the state of fascism did as well. Now Campbell was rumored to be a fascist but it was never proven. So my idea is to base a character of Sir Malcolm Campbell who is the poster boy for automobiles. The people will love him and will practically do anything he says, which is buy more cars. The government will control all gas and other resources necessary to take care of any car which means the people completely reliant on the government and can never question it. Now of course we'll have to say that this movie takes a little in the future the government officials are not the same in 1935 so it won't look like were bad mouthing any specific official. Also fascism itself will not be mentioned at all but it will be symbolize through the necessities of having an automobile.

The studio I decided to go with was Paramount Studios. I choose them because they had more connections to great Directors and Writers who could easily adapt this idea to the big screen. I was thinking about choosing Warner Bros. Studios but due to them mainly focusing on low budget films it wouldn't work as well with the films need for a boat load Model-T's, race cars and other automobiles.

My choice to play the lead character based on Sir Malcolm Campbell is Gary Cooper. I chose Cooper because first off, he has this very likable and trusting face which is what you need for a poster-boy. This character needs to be suave and charming for people to trust and like him. The Director I have chosen for this project is Howard Hawks. The main reason I look to him to direct this film is because of the movie Scarface (1932). Like my story, it sneaks in a disguised bio of a real life person: Al Capone! 
Now the category I want to highlight in this film is the cinematography. There could be a lot of great shots of 1st person driving or some (Extreme) high angle shots. The man I want in charge of cinematography is Bert Glennon. Granted he mostly does work for Television, but I can see this film working the same way as television movie. Bert Glennon has more experience than a large number of Directors.
The movie, I believe, should start out in brighter Technicolor. Later, as the film progresses the bright colors become more and more darker, but not however to the point of black and white. This would be to simulate how all the advances in automobiles might appear to good, but as time goes on, America's path grows evermore darker.

Looking over the Hays Code ,I don't believe there would be anything in my film that would be restricting by this. There darker tones to the film, but no sex scenes or murder.

Overall, this is my idea for the 1930s. I believe it would be very interesting development to connect something so mundane as car, to the idea of fascism.

No comments:

Post a Comment